Thursday, October 23, 2008

Kannada Rajyotsava Celebrations.

It was a pleasant surprise to recieve a call to attend a quiz program at Central Excise Office Near Indian express circle. But the beaurty was neither the partner was known or the format of the quiz known beforehand. (No fault of organisers, they had sent a fax fifteen days before) Convincing the bosses (u find a quite number in any self respecting govt office) that it was in the depts interest to send two participants to the quiz to enhance the sagging reputation took almost the first half of the day. I am no boaster, but am a passable quizzer of anything but music is my anathema. My partner, is a dynamic lady quite versed in dramatics and hindi songs.
Now, coming to the event, it was 50-50 of quiz and antaxari with emphasis on Kannada for the coming Rajyotsava celebrations. Our team flew with flying colors in the prelims, taking 2nd spot in the finals. Questions in the prelims were well thought out and refreshing our kannada culture. Even till the end of round 4, my team was comfortably placed at the top with safe margin of score. Once the antaxari started,(this quiz was unique in having this as a dessert) my team flunked so badly, even our competetors were reduced to tears at our pathetic attempt to find songs to the lips. I normally dont pray, but with my partner having forgotten her songs, and I was made to look a novice, I prayed to almighty to end the torture. Finallyh when He heard me, it was a comforting 4th place from the top, and my partner apologising for having lost her mental cassettes of kannada songs at the very moment they were required. At the end of it, I think it was a well organised quiz variety program by Shamsundar Kulkarni of central excise and his dedicated team which earned the kudos of all. You could not have done it better. Lets hope for a better showing next time, let me brush up on my old/medievel/mod kannada songs lest I be caught with voice box choked.

No comments: